Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Birth Story... 6 months later

God has really been putting this on my heart to put this on my blog for about 3 months now after a sermon called "Facing your Giants" Michaela's birth was my "giant," but after letting it all go to God, He unfolded a wonderful birth story...

My pregnancy was full of blessings and was definitely much smoother then my pregnancy with my son Drew. One I didn't get Gestational Diabetes and this time around I completely turned over everything in regards to the birth to God. If you actually knew me, you would know that that was a big step for me, and that even though I have been a believer for a long time I always feel the need to be in a little bit of control (don't we all?), but not this time. From the day we discovered we were pregnant, we discussed all of our options, did lots and lots of research, hired a doula... etc and decided that a VBAC was the right choice for us... but in making that decision we also went to God and prayed on a daily basis for protection. Protection from anything that would harm me or the baby. We prayed that if it was in His will for us to deliver via VBAC that I would go into labor early and have no complications whatsoever. We also prayed that if there were going to be any complications during delivery that God would prevent me from going into labor. Even though this was our prayer, I didn’t really think it was possible that God would prevent the labor since that’s what I wanted. Notice I used the word I. I did everything possible to go into labor, walking 2-3 miles everyday, drinking the red raspberry tea, inserting the evening primrose oil, lots of intercourse, went tubing behind my father in laws boat, scoured the Internet to find ideas, drank champagne, (only one glass per day and only once), my small group was praying for me on a daily basis, poured over all the suggestions posted here, etc...I kept praying, but also kept thinking that I would go into labor. I went through the weekly check ups with no dilation or effacing, baby hadn't dropped, scheduled a c-section for 10 days post edd with everyone including my doctor saying not to worry we wouldn't need to go through with it.. I kept thinking that she would come any day, but I also had faith that God was in control of our situation. Of course, I did have my days when I was upset. At 38 weeks, I cried for an entire evening because of an out of control toddler, a husband with a migraine, a disappointing Dr. Appointment, and a rude comment by a neighbor about how large I was. I had lots of friends tell me not to give into the pressures of the hospital and just to wait it out. I knew that as my surgery date approached my chances were getting slimmer and slimmer, of having a "successful birth" but I waited on God and His plan. His plan unfolded on June 9th, 10 days past my EDD at Arlington Memorial hospital. I gave birth to a beautiful little girl, Michaela Candace weighing 7lbs 14 oz via c-section. I did have a successful birth, it was not what I had hoped for, but it is what I prayed for, a safe and healthy delivery with no complications. I had to trust in God 100% that day, and He held true and guided the doctor's hands through the surgery. I had the doctor check me before and during the surgery and I was not at all effaced or dilated and showed no signs of going into labor. Michaela had already had her first BM, so it was definitely time to get her out.

Now of course, I did struggle and do struggle at times reading all the birth stories here and from my friends, but I do know that it is also Satan whispering in my ear telling me I couldn't handle a VBAC or I made a wrong choice. I have a wonderful birth story too and a beautiful little girl to prove it. I know God was with us through the whole thing. Who knows, maybe when God decides to bless us with number 3 we can try again.

2 comments:

Misty said...

you are right, God is in control!!! Believe me, not going into labor is probably better than thinking you're going into labor a dozen times :) haha. I love your birth story as much as I love to read everyone elses...because you focus on your beautiful daughter and the Lord that gave her to you!

Beaver said...

As someone going through this for the first time, I'm blessed to have your story as a guide and as an encouragement. I, too, am a "control freak" and plan, plan, plan without waiting for The Plan. I want to go naturally, and after reading your story know that however everything unfolds will be the perfect ending to my story. Success is the birth of a baby, now how the baby is born. Thank you for sharing! Love ya!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker