So over spring break, Kevin and I decided we needed some serious time as a family and decided to do a min road trip in Texas. This was the 1st time that all four of us have been out of town without our extended family and we were really excited about it. One thing I did learn was you have to have a great sense of humor because when traveling with kids.. nothing I mean NOTHING goes according to plan...
We left on a Friday evening around bedtime to travel to round rock where we would be attending a mini family reunion the next day. All was great- I drove, Kev worked, took the kids a while to fall asleep, but we arrived in round rock around 11pm. My dad met us.. when we went to transfer drew to the room it was like he had an instant sugar high.. prolly more tired then anything.. but was way excited to see poppy and it was after midnight before the stinker fell asleep.. ( Kev and i laughed it off and we all went to sleep)
The next morning we went to the continental breakfast where drew proceed to run round and round in the dinning room creating havoc... luckily not too many guest. After Michaela's morning nap we reloaded everything into the van and headed with my dad to the reunion. Now reunion in the loosest sense of the word because none of my immediate family attended and the group that was there didn't really talk to you if they didn't know you.. even if you were family so after many attempts of conversation i gave up.. finally one of my dad's cousins showed up with his 3 year old son and I was way excited for drew to have someone to play with.. except this 3 year was very antagonizing and would antagonize Drew to no end because he knew Drew wanted whatever he had. At one point they were fighting over a straw and I headed out to clear it up and his dad said to me "oh they're boys just let them duke it out." excuse me ?!!.. it was about that time that we loaded up, let the kids nap in the car and head to San Antonio.. To relive the tension I clapped my hands and said "Yeah Family vacation!!!" which became our motto.. We stopped in San Marcus for dinner and shopping made it to San Antonio got the kids in bed and everyone crashed... that is till Drew started waking up crying from about 5 am on.. burning up of course.. so about 7 am M and I headed to HEB for Tylenol and Motrin and a thermometer... When trying to open the thermometer, M stuck her fingers in between the scissors I was using and I about cut her little finger off, but I stopped when I realized it and it didn't even break the skin.. Yeah Family vacation!!
Drew was acting crazy.. didn't wanna eat.. cranky etc.. but no other symptoms.. we gave him Motrin for the low grade he was running.. decided to go ahead and attend the church that Kev went to when he lived in SA. WE chalked our morning up to Satan trying to keep us hotel bound... so we went to church where Drew proceed to sleep through the service which he never does.. felt better when he woke up.. got in the van to leave and realized someone had double parked behind us! To add to it.. it was a Hispanic church parking lot we were in so after about 30 mins of waiting Kevin went into the church (grino- hispanic church.mmmm) and luckily someone found the keys because there was no way that pastor was winding down anytime soon! Yeah Family vacation!!
While waiting Drew decided he wanted some juice.. which he chugged.. we headed out to lunch with some of Kevin's church friends.. when we got there Drew said " Hold Mommy" so Kev and I switched kids and walked in.. as soon as we walked in.. Drew started coughing.. and getting upset.. i figured he had a cold because there was a lot of drainage.. I told him he was okay and about that time he lovingly spewed the orange juice all over me.. Yeah Family vacation!!
We got to the car.. stripped him down.. Kev gave me his shirt and we drove through sonic and went back to the hotel.. Drew had a fever by this point and passed out ... we ate our lunch while he slept.. had to go back to HEB for laundry soap and quarters to wash our clothes because its what we were wearing to aunt Winnie's funeral.. and took it easy.. after his nap drew felt much better and we were even able to go out to dinner
After he was asleep for the night he was burning up again so I stripped him down gave him more Motrin and he slept great only waking a few times.. Yeah Family vacation!!
We had tickets for sea world the next day and luckily the kids were free, but the tickets were non refundable and it was $100 plus parking for Kev and I so there was no way we were skipping out on that.. so we packed the medicine and thermometer.. and headed out. Drew did great.. unfortunately sea world and spring break don't quite agree. lots and lots of people.. and it was hot.. got to see shamu.. had to get there an hour before his show to get a seat.. but we did have a blast! Yeah Family vacation!!
We had dinner in that night because both kids crashed due to no naps so Kev and I watched movies all evening.. which was nice because we don't do that often..
We hit the SA zoo the next day.. which again spring break no bueno.. only one restaurant for food in the whole zoo.. lots of construction.. narrow walk ways.. give me the FW zoo any day.. least its is more accommodating to crowds... we all got hot and cranky so about 2 pm.. we headed back to the van to begin our trek to Houston. As we got to the van, Kev just froze...he looked back at me with an omg look when I realized I had left the passenger door open to the van! BY open I don't mean unlocked.. I mean open.. we had been in the zoo for 4 hours and we had parked in the over flow parking under a bridge! Yeah Family vacation!! By the grace of God.. nothing was gone.. Kev was not happy with me, and I couldn't blame him, his work computer was in there...I just kept saying Yeah Family vacation!! over and over.. he eventually laughed...
As we headed for Houston we loaded up on caffeine because by day 4 we were exhausted... The kids fell asleep.. but poor Drew was not doing well.. he woke up every 30 mins wanting to hold mommy and was only relaxed when I was sitting between the 2 captains chairs, (luckily my behind is big enough to balance between the 2 ) and holding his head against the headrest of his car seat...we had to stop a few times.. make a pb&j sandwich and rolled into Houston about 630. Yeah Family vacation!!
We went to my friends Sarah's house before heading to Mike and Cara's house.. and there Drew would run around for a bit, then want to hold mommy again and then run again.. When we headed to Mike's house we realized the poor guy was again running a high fever.. gave him some Motrin and headed out. He passed out, so when we got to Mike's we just put him to bed, clothes and all..... then rest of us were up way too late. but we had a good visit..
M slept great.. but Drew woke up at 430 ready to play.. not on your life.. luckily he fell back asleep about 515 and slept till 8... but still talk about being tired.. we then did the funeral which was beautiful and did great and then we headed back to Arlington.. we took bluebonnet pics and let drew walk around.. Drew got bit by an aunt.. had to stop 2 more times.. so our trip home took like 5 or 6 hours instead of 4, but oh well ! Yeah Family vacation!!
The next day M had her 9 month check up and I had our ped look in Drew's ears and guess what Double ear infection and M had the beginnings of his cold.. which would with in a weeks time pass to all of us and M and I both got double ear infections! Yeah Family vacation!!
That all being said.. we kept our attitudes in check, we learned a lot and with all the craziness that occur ed we had a great trip and the much needed family time and lots of lots of laughter throughout... I'll post some pics of the trip soon!


1 comment:
Oh, Crissy! I'm glad you got to spend some family time together! And I hope you're all feeling better now!
I read about you leaving the car door open, and I had to laugh, because I've done that before...more than once. Most recently I've been leaving my headlights on with no rhyme or reason (the warning "ding ding ding" in the Saturn doesn't work anymore). It's driving Eli crazy, but I honestly can't help it! My brain has been taken over by space invaders!
Take care, sweet friend!
Post a Comment