Kevin here - I'm 28 now, and things are definitely different this year compared to previous birthdays. Last year I'm sure I was able to sleep in a little bit, maybe even have breakfast in bed. This year Crissy and I woke up to the "Drew-Alert-System" before the alarm clock went off. So that made me feel older. Also, by the picture you can see I'm looking older than last year - experimenting with facial hair again. I've gotten mixed, but mostly positive feedback so far. Dan told me to shave, but since when have I ever listened to him? (just to see if he's reading).Oh yeah, that's another thing - speaking of Dan, since we went waterskiing with him last weekend. About three weeks ago I went waterskiing, and I injured my foot (pulled a muscle or something). It healed pretty fast, but that was following my broken toe on the opposite foot last fall. Nothing makes you feel older than getting hurt doing something you're used to doing all the time - even if it's walking the dog (last fall).
Here, this video will help express how I feel about turning 28:
Despite the aging process, this has been a really awesome year though. It's been fun being a Daddy, even though the thought still blows my mind sometimes. I get in a routine and having Drew seems so normal that I almost forget what life was like before he was born, or at least it seems empty looking back on it. But then other times, I look at him and realize that he's completely dependant on Crissy and I for his physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. Of course we'll have help from family, friends, teachers, youth groups, etc - but as parents the responsibility will always be ours. That scares me sometimes, but why should I be scared as long as we're relying on God to guide our decisions and provide for us? He's the one that gave Drew life, not us, so surely we can raise him by relying on the one who has entrusted Drew to us.
I'm looking forward to this next year because I'm so excited to see who Drew is going to turn out to be, one year at a time. And the cool thing is that as parents, Crissy and I have developed whole new sides of us that weren't there before - I love watching her be Drew's Mommy.



1 comment:
Hey bro! Hope your birthday was a blast! ... and yeah... you should listen to me more often... and SHAVE! ;)
Post a Comment